Thursday, February 26, 2009

Mommy's Helper

Can I help? Can I help? Mama, can I help?

That's the constant refrain from my just-turned 3 year old these days. He wants to help with everything. Which is great, don't get me wrong. But, it's also a challenge. Especially for someone like me who included "I try to do everything in the most efficient way possible" on my now-ubiquitous "25 Random Things About Me" Facebook note.

I try to answer yes as much as possible. The sooner this kid learns how to vacuum, clean windows, wash dishes and do laundry, the sooner I can put my feet up, watch soapsread blogs and eat bon bons all day. Ha ha!

But, seriously, I do want to involve him, to teach him how to do household chores (you are quite welcome, future spouse!). And, most importantly, I want to let him feel a sense of accomplishment at a job well done. So I do let him help me load the washer (which also helps teach colors), sort socks (matching game!), and sweep the floor, among others. I'm starting to figure out how to involve him in cooking and baking--I was never one for exact measurements anyway.

It's hard, though. Bringing a 3 year old boy into the equation generally results in a task done in the most inefficient way possible and quite frankly, he often leaves an even greater mess in his wake.

At least he's willing to help me clean it up!


Original post to DC Metro Moms. The ever-smiling Aimee Olivo also blogs at www.smilingmama.blogspot.com.

Comments

Sue @ Laundry for Six said...
Oh yes. It takes a lot of patience to let a toddler help. But by the time they are old enough to *really* be a help, they will NOT want to do it!


Original post by Smiling Mama. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Thanks!