Sunday, December 27, 2009

This Green Mom's Dirty Little Secret: I Love the Crush of Holiday Catalogs

I definitely consider myself a "green" mom. We're doing our best to be as eco-friendly as possible in our household. We use green cleaners. We recycle. We have a rain barrel. We gave up paper towels and paper napkins in favor of dish towels, cloth rags and cloth napkins. We're planning to use cloth diapers with baby #2 when he joins us in January. We do what we can.

And yet, every year around the holidays, I have one dirty little secret: I absolutely love the crush of holiday catalogs. As others complain on Facebook about the waste and share tips via listserv about how to stop the deluge, I secretly revel in the number of mailing lists we must be on.

While I'm slightly perplexed and annoyed that the Christmas items came out before the Halloween stuff went on clearance this year, I was thrilled when the first catalogs arrived several weeks before Thanksgiving. A solid six weeks of lovely, glossy mail had begun!

No, I don't have anyone on my list for whom I will purchase a Frank Lloyd Wright inspired lamp nor do I have anyone to whom I will send a $200 gift basket from Zingerman's Deli. But I sure did enjoy pouring over those catalogs. I love the toy catalogs and clothing catalogs with equal passion. I analyze the pictures, read the descriptions and dream of gifts I'd purchase for every family member, friend and acquaintance. Plus, maybe a few goodies for myself.

And then, after I've throughly enjoyed each and every catalog, they all go straight into the recycling bin.


Original post to DC Metro Moms. When Aimee Olivo isn't waiting for the mail to arrive she blogs at Smiling Mama and Out by Ten.

Stimey said...
I love those catalogs too. I look at every page of most of them. But I recycle too!

Dawn Mooney said...
Love this Aimee! We all have to have our guilty pleasures, but yours ends with recycling even, so I say no guilt necessary. :)

Kate Coveny Hood said...
Oh - me too! And always have... I remember hoarding toy catalogs as a little girl. Now I love the jewelry catalogs best.


Original post by Smiling Mama. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Thanks!