Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A Mexican Easter

As you know, dear Internet, Abel and I started dating on Valentine's Day. That Easter we flew to San Antonio to meet his parents (any many other family members) who were in San Antonio for Fiesta. I don't think Easter was as early that year as it is this year, but still, that's only a few months later and pretty early-on in a relationship to spend a long-weekend away with many, many family members.

Truth be told: that weekend almost ended our relationship. It was the worst weekend of my entire life. But that's a story for another day.

One good thing about the weekend was my initiation into the much-loved Mexican tradition of cascarones. Even though it was a very difficult weekend for me, I had an inkling, even then, that one day I would have children with this man--bring children into his family. And I knew that when I did, and when we celebrated Easter together with these hypothetical future children, I wanted cascarones to be part of that celebration.

Fast forward eight years and I am so excited to crack a cascarone over Lucas's head as we celebrate Easter with his, my, our crazy Mexican family!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, that's so fun! One of my students did a speech last year explaining how to make those! they're really neat!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day. Thanks!