Thursday, March 11, 2010

Milestones of Motherood

After the birth of my first child, Lucas, my husband and I celebrated all his developmental milestones: his first smile, the first time he sat up by himself, the first time he crawled, the first time he stood up. You know exactly what I mean. At almost two months old, our second son, Nathaniel, has just marked his first milestone by giving me a nice, gummy smile. But this time around, I'm also celebrating some other small victories: my own personal milestones as the mother of two.

When I was pregnant with Nathaniel, I wasn't nervous about labor and delivery. I wasn't nervous about caring for a newborn or the nights of little sleep. I was, however, worried about getting through normal life with two kids. How would I handle the nights when my husband worked late and I was solo for dinnertime, bath time and bedtime? How would I wrangle two kids at the store or get two kids to the doctor?

And slowly but surely I'm hitting those milestones.

When Nathaniel was just three weeks old, I successfully maneuvered a fussy infant while giving my 4 year old a bath and getting him to bed. Just two weeks later, I conquered double doctor appointments. And most recently I took a solo road trip with both boys to visit my parents. Each was a small but important victory for my self-confidence: maybe I really can do this.

I will admit that I'm still terrified of going to the grocery store on my own with both kids. Luckily the grocery store delivers!


Original post to DC Metro Moms. Aimee blogs about life with her boys at Smiling Mama and about family-friendly activities in Prince George's County, MD at Out by Ten.

Susan said...
My daughter just turned 2 months old, and my son will be 2 y.o. next month. I had my first attempt at solo bedtime with the two of them when my husband had a business dinner earlier this week; it was kind of a disaster. I've done okay at the grocery store though!

Good luck with the continued milestones. :)

March 11, 2010 at 05:35 AM Aimee Olivo said in reply to Susan...
Thanks, Susan! The advantage I have at bedtime is that my 4yo can get dressed, brush his teeth, etc. with minimal help. The advantage you have at the grocery store, I'm guessing, is that your 2yo still fits in the cart! Good luck with your next solo bedtime, I'm sure it will get easier!

March 11, 2010 at 01:54 PM Dawn Mooney said...
I hear you on this one, Aimee! I very clearly remember when my husband and I took all three kids out and were thrilled to come home with all of them intact. :) Pretty soon it will all seem like old hat to you!

March 11, 2010 at 05:48 AM Aimee Olivo said in reply to Dawn Mooney...
Dawn, too funny! Three must definitely be a new ballgame: you're out numbered!! Thanks for the encouragement!

March 11, 2010 at 01:55 PM Renaissance Dresses said...
Mothers are the ones who are very excited when it comes of the firsts of their child.

March 11, 2010 at 08:58 AM Melissa Joffrion said...
That is what I'm nervous about! How in the world can I handle two! Obviously it is done, and done well by many mothers (plus more kids). I just can't comprehend it yet. I'm impressed with your milestones, and I love thinking about it that way! :)

Original post by Smiling Mama. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Thanks!