Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Summer Break Scares Me

My four year old son's first year of preschool ends in just a few days. My baby is almost five months old. And, I recently resigned from my part-time job. All this adds up to mean that starting next week, I'll be home seven days a week with two boys until after Labor Day.

Can I tell you a secret?

Come closer....

I'm scared of summer!

Yes, of course, I am grateful to be able to stay home. It's taking some penny-pinching and coupon-clipping but we're going to be able to swing it. And, of course, I feel so blessed to have two beautiful boys.

But, I'm also a little scared. We've always been the type of family to go on a lot of outings and spend tons of time at the nearby park, but I've never been very good about art projects or educational games or much of a schedule. And, let's face it, even my busiest days at work were my easy days!

I'm determined to do more this summer, to really step up my game. There will be art time, there will be rest time, there will be strictly limited TV time and fun educational activity time. There will be structure and a schedule. But, I'll be sure to leave a little room for mornings in our jammies and rainy day movie time and spur-of-the-moment fun.

Hmmm....maybe this summer will be pretty fun after all!


Original post to DC Metro Moms. Aimee writes about life with her boys at Smiling Mama and about family-friendly outings and activities in Prince George's County, MD at Out by Ten.

MaryK said...
Sounds like you're on track to have a great summer. Try to have some water fun at a nearby park's kiddie pool, and maybe enroll your oldest in swim lessons too. Do some 'field trips' to the National Zoo, the Smithsonian, or even just the local farmers markets. Nothing helps beat boredom than a change of scenery, even if it's just for a half day. At 4, riding the Metro is a huge adventure! Savor every moment!!

May 26, 2010 at 09:22 AM Suzie P. said...
We are quite the opposite. I have four kids and I am looking forward to the unscheduled flexible summer time. I subscribe to the let the kids run and play and be bored some so that they create school of thought. And after five summers off (started when my oldest was in school) we are all about the unscheduled time. I'm positive that they kids will enjoy having you around regardless of what you guys do, and do leave some time for them to just be over the summer - it's a great learning experience for all involved!

May 26, 2010 at 10:52 AM Thrift Store Mama said...
I've had two kids within 22 months of each other every summer and I only work 2-3 days a week. I plan out each day, but permit/allow/encourage myself to change plans if I want to. I also try to alternate physical activities with mental ones (play time around the house, then playground, then coloring, then an errand to the grocery store, etc.) I also try to map out what chores I can do that they can help with, what chores I can do while I can still keep an eye on them while they play, and what chores are best left for when they are not around. That way I don't waste naptime doing things I could have done when they are awake.

All transitions take some getting used to - for you and your kids. Of course, you know yourself and your kids best. Look forward to another post on how it's working out.


Original post by Smiling Mama. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Thanks!