Tuesday, May 27, 2008

True Community

Two weeks ago I wasn't feeling very well. I went in to see my primary care physician and he did a blood test. First thing the next morning he called, and with deep concern in his voice, told me to go to the nearest emergency room immediately. After many days of worry, lots of tests and a surgery, I'm now home and recovering.

A big part of my speedy recovery has been the warmth of the community I came home to. I'm convinced that our town is the best place in the world to raise a child

The night after my mom left, my husband ran into a neighbor at the grocery store. He must have looked a little overwhelmed. Just hours later, that neighbor called to let us know that she had sent a few e-mails and lined up meals for us for the next 10 days!

On night three of delicious dinners, a couple brought over pie and ice cream, explaining that they tried to get on the dinner list but it filled up too quickly so they thought they'd bring dessert. Countless moms have offered playdates; several have offered grocery store runs; and, one mom home on maternity leave with her second child offered up an afternoon of errands.

It is truly overwhelming to be the recipient of such generosity.

But, not surprising. I've seen it all before. You see, this is what Cheverly is all about.

When a baby is born or an illness occurs, people bring food. Need something? No matter how obscure, simply ask. I've seen requests--requests for everything from an extra carseat to one of those high toilet for a visiting grandparent--fulfilled in minutes.

We truly are a community, a community of people who care about and for each other. When I think about the best place in the world to raise a chid, I know we are there.

Original post to DC Metro Moms. Read more about Aimee's life with her toddler at Smiling Mama.

Comments

Caitlin said...
Glad to hear you're recovering and you have such a great neighborhood to help out when you need it.

I grew up with that type of neighborhood, but our HOA has killed all sense of community. People are too busy ratting each other out to the management company over stupid things like "volunteer trees" in the driveway instead of just mentioning to their neighbor. It's nice to see that there are still "good neighbors" out there.

Kimberly said...
My mother and father both grew up in Cheverly. I went to my K & 1st grade there as well. It is a great place, indeed! :)

Leticia- Tech Savvy Mama said...
Glad to know you are ok! It is so rare to find a wonderful neighborhood with a great sense of community. It is such a relief to know you have help from those who are close but if you find yourself needing anything, please send me an e-mail!

Andrea said...
Glad to hear you are getting better. Good neighbors are priceless.

Nicole said...
Happy you are okay...

and have great neighbors :)


Original post by Smiling Mama. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Thanks!