Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I Drove a Minivan to Adams Morgan

Every now and then something happens that confirms for me, once again, that I am old and uncool. And, not just old and uncool, but an old and uncool mom. I look in my closet and realize that "comfort over fashion" has replaced my once-upon-a-time mantra of "fashion over comfort" in the large majority of my footwear. A younger colleague comes to me for Tylenol or a Band-Aid because "moms always carry that kind of stuff." I accidentally change the car radio from NPR to my old favorite Hip Hop station only to discover that I don't recognize a single song.

One such incident took place last Saturday night: I drove to Adams Morgan in a minivan. Yes, I drove one of the most uncool vehicles possible to one of the coolest neighborhoods in DC. Adams Morgan, for anyone from out of town or maybe even less cool than me, is defined by Wikipedia as, "a culturally diverse neighborhood in Northwest Washington, D.C. centered at the intersection of 18th Street and Columbia Road...and is a major night life area with many bars and restaurants."

During college and after college--when my husband and I were dating and even after we were married--I went to Adams Morgan often. Unless I was there shopping during the day, I never stepped foot on 18th Street before 11pm. And I was almost always chilly in Adams Morgan. There's really no place for a winter coat in a packed bar or club, right? So I just didn't wear one.

Before Saturday, however, I can't even remember the last time I was in Adams Morgan. Years? But, a friend was having a birthday. And she wanted Indian food. Specifically, this great little restaurant in her old (aka pre-kids) neighborhood. Since there were three couples from our neighborhood going, it only made sense to car pool. And since six people can fit so comfortably in our minivan, it only made sense for us to drive.

And so we went. Six people. (Two nursing moms and one pregnant woman.) Wearing appropriate jackets. In a minivan. To Adams Morgan. And back home to relieve the babysitters by 11pm.

Now I am asking myself: Was that the very last nail in my coffin of cool? Or, does just the fact that we went to get Indian in Adams Morgan instead of some chain restaurant at a strip mall mean there's just a hint of coolness left?

Original post to DC Metro Moms. You can read more about Aimee Olivo's very uncool life at Smiling Mama and about family-friendly adventures in Prince George's County at Out by Ten.


Cristie said...
Definitely still cool. You totally could have taken the van to Chili's! Rock On mama.:)

April 21, 2010 at 05:35 AM Sue @ Laundry for Six said...
I'm taking ye old minivan to the 9:30 Club. Embarrassing but necessary. We are still a little cool.

April 21, 2010 at 05:39 AM MommyTwinGirls/LindaD said...
Oh, hahaha...great post! I think it's the latter. It's just a different kind of cool - no need to dress up to impress anyone but yourself and have some fun with husband and friends. But imagine one day, if you end up having to drive there (in your mini van, if course) to pick up your twenty-something kid for some reason.

April 21, 2010 at 06:11 AM BananaBlueberry said...
You are so cool!
I wouldn't have driven down to Adams Morgan :)

xoxoxox !

April 21, 2010 at 06:48 AM Stimey said...
I feel that way every time I drive a minivan into DC.

But still cool. I woulda stayed in Maryland. :)

April 21, 2010 at 09:58 AM Jerseygirl89 said...
I think you definitely still have some cool going. I can't even remember the last time I was in a cool neighborhood!

April 21, 2010 at 01:52 PM amy m said...
ha! I love it--it's definitely the latter, my friend. Uncool is staying close to home because that 20 minute drive to the better restaurants is just too exhausting.

Super cool! Hope you had fun!

April 24, 2010 at 11:11 AM cecilia reifschneider said...
great post! But there is a new space for cool moms (yes- i think not all hope is lost- still a bit of cool left):Pigment. Pigment is a new art studio opening in Adams Morgan and having an open house on Saturday, June 5th.

Pigment's mission is to provide a platform for communication, collaboration & motivation among young artists in the local community by offering accessible high-quality art instruction.

We would love to have you AND your kids drop by for the open house.

For more information about the studio or our summer camp please visit http://www.pigmentartstudio.com

Original post by Smiling Mama. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Thanks!