Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A great day

Yesterday was a truly awesome day. This is the first week, after many, many crazy weeks, that I'm back to my normal work and at home schedule. When we travel I try as hard as I can to still get my 20 hours in and often give up my days home with Lucas in the process. When you're hourly you only get paid for what you work and missing a few hours really shows up in that paycheck!

So yesterday was a regular Tuesday at home for Lucas and me. And it was glorious. We got moving first thing, off to the grocery store because Lucas was wearing literally the very last diaper in the house. We want to start potty training soon, but not quite yet!

We got back from the grocery store and put everything away with just enough time to straighten the house a bit (yes, thank goodness I was able to clean over the weekend!) before our good friends came over for a play date. As soon as they arrived we were off to the park to enjoy the beautiful morning.

Lucas and his little buddy had a great time running around, sliding and swinging while Kerry and I got to catch up. Close to Noon, we headed home for lunch. The boys had PB&J and I made Kerry and myself the most yummy sandwiches--ciabatta bread from our weekend farmer's market with fresh tomatoes from our CSA farm, basil from my garden and mozzarella from my home delivery dairy. All topped with a drizzle of olive oil and put under the broiler for a minute to melt the cheese a bit. Yum!!

After some more playing Kerry and Jack headed home and Lucas headed straight up for his nap. I decided should get a head start on dinner before jumping on-line. I made the eggplant (again courtesy of our CSA share) for eggplant parmesan thinking it would be great to have that ready so I could just make some quick spaghetti later and have a meal. Then I realized I had some grass fed ground beef (from our dairy) that I needed to do something with so put together a quick meatloaf and chopped up our CSA potatoes to roast--this combo chosen because they both take about 50 minutes at the same temp. So, before I knew it I had two dinners going! Then, just because I already had the oven on, I whipped up some oatmeal cookies with dark chocolate chips and chopped almonds. Yum!

While everything was cooking I laid down on the couch for about 20 minutes. Not a full-fledged nap but a very nice rest. Lucas woke up (before I got on-line which I why I didn't write this yesterday!) and we watched an episode of Caillou (his obsession!). Then we headed out again. To Target for sunglasses (mine broke and I can't find any of his) and I-kid-you-not I walked out having ONLY purchased two pairs of sunglasses! Then over to JoAnn Fabrics to check out some fabric to recover our dining room chairs (tip: raw silk doesn't hold up well when your toddler starts eating at the table!), then to Staples for a new black ink cartridge (so I can print invitations for my friend's bridal shower--they turned out so lovely!).

Abel was home when we got there (a welcome treat with all his late nights recently, though he did go back to work right after dinner) and I just had to heat up the meatloaf and roasted potatoes for a yummy dinner.

It was such a nice day--I got so much accomplished, had tons of quality time with Lucas and a good friend and even got some me-time with a quick rest. If only all days could be like Tuesday!

1 comment:

  1. Your "Great Day" exhausted me just from reading it. :)


Comments make my day. Thanks!