Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Healthy Eating

When Lucas started solid food and dairy milk I bought organic for the first time. When the food or milk in my cart was for Lucas, it was organic. When it was for my husband or me, it wasn't. For more than a year Lucas has been drinking organic milk almost exclusively. As for Abel and me, the only time we have organic milk is when the skim runs out and we swipe some from the other carton. For Easter, I didn't want Lucas to have too much candy so he got matchbox cars and raisins in his eggs. But what's Easter without candy? I just kept it aside for myself and the other adults. My husband and I always make sure there we have pleanty of Lucas's favorite fruit and veggies in the house. But I hate to admit that the two of us rarely get our five a day.

Bottom line: we feed Lucas healthier food than we eat ourselves. And I'm happy to report that the double-standard has officially (started to) come to an end!

Today we received our first milk delivery--to our front door and in glass bottles! Welcome to 1950!

Seriously, I am so excited that our town has been added to the delivery route of a Maryland dairy farm. Their dairy cows aren't given growth hormones and have free choice feeding options. The fields don't get any pesticides. Our order included both 2% and Skim--milk (can I just say it again, in GLASS BOTTLES!) for all of us.

Hopefully this will be the first of many choices I make for us all to eat healthier.

Original Posting to DC Metro Moms Blog. Aimee also blogs about life with a toddler at Smiling Mama.

Comments

Leticia said...
I've heard rave reviews about South Mountain Creamery and have been meaning to have some of their meat delivered. I've also heard that it's a great place to visit as a field trip since you can help feed the calves from bottles.

Robin said...
I'm jealous! I miss milk in glass bottles!

Rebecca said...
Hi Aimee! I can't imagine receiving milk in a glass bottle - what a foreign concept! Welcome to the DC Metro Moms Blog!

MamaBird@SurelyYouNest said...
I *love* South Mountain Creamery! We get their milk delivered and it makes me so happy to never leave my house! I mean support a local farmer (smile). Welcome to DC Metro Moms! MamaBird from SurelyYouNest

gentlemadness said...
We also get milk delivered from South Mountain Creamery (as well as to-die-for cheese, butter, meat, etc.) and have been thrilled with their service. We just put our order in on their website on Wednesday night and everything arrives on Friday morning - couldn't be easier! :)

workout mommy said...
milk in glass bottles delivered to your door? I need to sign up for this! Thanks for the tip!

suann said...
oh my, this sounds amazing! very jealous.

Amy said...
I grew up getting milk delivered to our house. I'd be interested to know how long the milk lasts- both in freshness and quantity during the week.

linda said...
I hear they are delivering to Vienna, VA now and it only takes like 5 people to have delivery to your area. I know my mom's group has got enough people that it's now delivering to Reston!

I love the taste of milk in glass bottles. Yum.

Jen said...
Welcome to DC Metro Moms! And thanks for your first post - we have been trying to eat more local and organic food since our 16 month old daughter came along. South Mountain could be exactly what we are looking for!

Kelly said...
Awesome! After we read your post we clicked right over and signed on up for delivery. South Mountain Creamery should give you a commission! ;)


Original post by Smiling Mama. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Thanks!