Tuesday, July 8, 2008

This week's harvest

No, I'm not a farmer, but I do have a farm!

As I've mentioned before, we bought a share of a CSA farm this year. Every Saturday we drive out to the farm to pick up our portion of the week's harvest. Plus there are always lots of bonuses like all-you-can pick flowers, fresh herbs and even some plant seedlings (our black-eyed susans are going to bloom any day now!).

I'm generally not very adventurous when it comes to food--especially when it comes to vegetables. But, I'm loathe to let our farm fresh veggies go to waste so this has forced me out of my comfort zone--with pretty good results.

Along with standard veggies like carrots and green beans, this week's harvest included radishes (I know, I know, they aren't really that adventurous, but I've never had radishes before!!) and a head of red cabbage and regular green cabbage. Abel also cut some fresh dill. And there's one other herb that I haven't identified yet! Abel also cut about a dozen beautiful sunflowers and a bunch of daisys for me.

After a quick perusal of foodnetwork.com I found two perfect recipes. The first is Latin Cabbage and Corn Salad which will use the red cabbage, green cabbage as well as (bonus!) fresh cilantro from my garden and limes leftover from homemade mojitos last weekend. I'm going to serve it with a great cut of grass-fed steak from our home delivery dairy which I'll season with a bit of salt & pepper then grill.

The second recipe is a Red Radish Salad by Rachel Ray. This recipe uses the radishes and dill from the farm and calls for sour cream which we have left over from my sister's visit (she was stunned that we don't keep sour cream in our fridge at all times!). This salad will be served with free-range chicken breasts, again from the dairy, which I'll marinate with a little EVOO, salt & pepper, lemon juice and garlic. (Oh, did I mention we also got 4 heads of fresh garlic in this week's share!?)

I hope they're both great--so that I'm rewarded for trying something new!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are able to make use of the sour cream :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about radishes...they aren't a "go to" veggie for me either. But I have found that sliced thin they are really great and a nice addition to a salad.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day. Thanks!