Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Works for Me Wednesday: Magnetic Walls


Yay! I'm so excited to be back at Works for Me Wednesday!

What works for me? Magnetic Walls!

Recently my husband renovated our basement turning it into a multi-purpose family room. As we considered the layout, we wanted to give lots of space for a play area.

Though our son isn't producing wall-worthy art yet, I know he will be someday soon and gave some thought to how we would display it.

Brainstorm: Magnetic Walls!

In one corner of the room, we used magnetic paint primer to transform the walls into magnetic surfaces. The paint is very very thick gooey black. The more layers you paint, the stronger the magnetic pull. We put about 3.5 layers on. Then you let it dry for at least 24 hours and paint your regular paint color over it. There is a slightly different texture to the magnetic surface, but nothing is noticible from a few feet away.

We love our magnetic walls! We purchased magnetic letters and Thomas the Train magnets for them. And, we got creative with thin decorated wood shapes like a train, truck, duck, frog, that we glued magnets to. Lucas LOVES playing with the magnets and gets a kick out of the fact that they stick to the wall. (Disclaimer: none of these magnets are as strong as those which have been recently recalled. Also, they are generally large and flat, not choking hazards).

I'm really looking forward to displaying artwork on the walls, too, when he's a little older.

What works for me? Magnetic playroom walls!

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea! My boys love crowding around the fridge and playing with magnets so an area designated for this type of playing would be so awesome! And hanging up their artwork would be just as awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually been meaning to do this in my son's room so he can start hanging the "important" stuff he wants to keep. I'm glad it worked!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day. Thanks!