Monday, April 23, 2012

Mantis Nymphs


We awoke on Sunday morning to find that our mantises had hatched! Woo hoo! We all agreed immediately they are totally adorable and I have to admit that I became very attached, checking in on them numerous times throughout the day. They were jumping all around, having a blast!

Unfortunately for them, it was pouring down rain all day on Sunday and quite chilly. I was not going to release these precious babies into that terrible weather!

The small paper that came with them said to release them within 1-2 days, so I figured we had time to wait out the rain. But by Sunday night (and again first thing today when I checked on them) they were all still. I don't think they had died as the large majority were still clinging to the sides of our little bug tent. But, I am so nervous that they are dying.

It's still only in the low 40s this morning. But, Abel and Lucas are going to release them before school. I'll tell you, these little mantises have been on my mind all morning! I hope the release goes okay, that they find food and aren't washed away by the rain or frozen by the cold.

Would it be appropriate to note that I have never, ever owned a pet?

Updates to come, friends!

Original post by Smiling Mama. Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm. It does suck that they hatched when we have this odd patch of cold weather. Can't wait to hear the update!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude. It's like you're me. I kill things too.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day. Thanks!