Friday, April 20, 2012

Sunflower Fort


After we spent our first three years focusing completely on the inside of our house, Abel has spend the last three years completely obsessed with the outside of our house! He's completely re-landscaped the front yard and has done amazing things with the back yard! (Think: stunning stacked stone wall, beautiful laid stone patio and a hilltop retreat!) Although I often get annoyed about the amount of TIME he's outside working and MONEY we've spent on landscaping supplies, we really do have a beautiful and relaxing outdoor retreat.

His latest project is a sunflower fort. Since I'm horrible at remembering before photos, I'm thrilled that I had the foresight to snap these quick pics the other day. The photo above is the footprint of our eventual fort -- Abel planted seeds for giant sunflowers in the square shape, leaving room for a door.

Here's one of the little sprouts:


With some luck, watering and stakes, we should have giant sunflowers later this summer which will give the boys an awesome hideaway fort!

I can't wait!

P.S. This project fits in perfectly with this awesome Etsy print from YellowHeartArt. Making forts is my go-to rainy/snow/boring day project for the kids!

Original post by Smiling Mama. Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. You should do a landscaping series. I want to see all the other projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How creative! I can't wait to see this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We planted sunflowers last year and not one made it. I think the squirrels dug up the seeds! So this year we're starting them indoors and tranferring them. I hope it works. Have you ever seen forts like this done with sugar snap peas? That looks so fun to me, too. Can't wait to see pics as the fort grows!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day. Thanks!