Thursday, March 6, 2008

Ultimate Comfort Food

Growing up, we didn't have Kraft Mac & Cheese. Instead, to our despair as kids, my mom made home-made-from-scratch macaroni and cheese. The same home-made-from-scratch macaroni and cheese her mom made.

We hated it!

Oh why, oh why couldn't we just have The Blue Box?

My mom always told us that we'd grow to like it. In fact, she predicted, it would be our most-requested meal when we came home on college breaks.

Oh boy was she right!

That cheesy-ooey-gooey baked goodness--it is sooooooo yummy! It was my most oft-requested college break meal. I still ask for it when I go home to this day. And, Lucas and Abel, they both love it, too!

Yet, I never had the courage to make it myself. You see, when I asked for the recipe this is what I got:

"Recipe? Well, there isn't really a recipe."

You see, she makes it in the same two pots and same bowl every single time so things just "look right" you know?

Finally my sister got her to send a semblance of a recipe via e-mail. It included phrases like "until it is yellowish" and "it should look soupy but if it is too soupy then add more macaroni".

Huh?

Well, I made it. And it was DEEEEEEElicious. And comforting. And Lucas and Abel devoured it.

The tradition continues!

1 comment:

  1. I'm starting to think you must be in sarah withdrawal or something... I mean, I am mentioned in the vast majority of your recent posts. You better stop this or I might start feeling really special or something :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day. Thanks!