Thursday, April 16, 2009

At least I don't have to worry about Mad Cow Disease

This tooth thing is still bothering me. In fact, last night at approximately 10pm I was convinced it had gotten infected. I mean, today is a full week since the tooth was extracted and it was hurting more last night than it had the few days prior. Plus, my sinus seemed to be hurting a bit. One of the complications with my particular mouth is that my sinus cavity runs low, and so there was concern about that and, in fact, I may need to have another procedure to push that sucker up a bit.

I was tossing and turning and fretting about this certain infection and questioning my decision to have this done at an office that is approximately 1.5 hours from my house. And about what the doctor would say when I called. Would he possibly just call in a prescription or would he want me to drive the whole way up to Pennsylvania so he could peek in and declare an infection then give me a prescription? And what would I do with Lucas? Would I take off work, leave him at daycare and drive up and back all before 6pm pick-up (almost impossible considering the rush hour traffic I'd be sure to encounter)? Would I take him with me and subject him and me to 3 hours in the car?

Tossing and turning, indeed.

Luckily, I woke up this morning with a completely stuffed up nose (ah! ha! no sinus infection, just a cold on the way!) and in much less pain than the day before. So, I'm ruling out an infection. And all my worried planning of various scenarios was for naught. Or perhaps the power of worry just kicked that infection in the ass. Either way, things seem to be on the upswing.

The craziest part of this whole procedure is the bone graft aspect. When I went in for the consultation the Dr. told me he used cadaver bone for grafts. Or, if that skeeved (my word, not his) me out, he could use bovine bone. I figured I'd rather have a dead human inside me than a dead cow so opted for cadaver. After it was completed, he informed me that occasionally the bone granules slip out before they fully fuse and if I feel a few not to worry. Wha?

The first time I felt one in my mouth I had no idea what it was. I fished it out and, indeed, about the size of a grain of kosher salt, was a bit of bone. About 10 total granules have slipped out over the past week and each one completely skeeves me out.


  1. Ha ha! That's funny. But I do hope you are feeling better with your mouth and cold soon.

  2. You need to call your doctor about this pain to see if it is normal. This is nothing to mess around with. Infections in the jaw can quickly spread to the brain and be very serious. Be smart and CALL YOUR DOCTOR!


Comments make my day. Thanks!