Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Excuses, excuses

Like most, we traveled to visit family over the holidays. We were away from home for 12--count them--12 consecutive days and traveled from the DC-area to Pennsylvania then onto Ohio then back to Pennsylvania before finally returning home. The trip gave us a really good chunk of quality time with each side of the family. And, in my opinion, our just-turned-three year old son Lucas was a really good boy throughout the entire vacation. Then again, my grandmother did always say that it's a poor mother who can't make an excuse for her child.

And sometimes I did feel like I was making a lot of excuses. He's the only grandchild on my side of the family and his only cousin on my husband's side is now 10 years old. So, it's been a while since either side has had a toddler around. Personally I felt like their expectations were just a little too high sometimes.

Take, for example, my father-in-law: this big, tough guy who Lucas just adores (the feeling is mutual). He loves to play with Lucas but much of the "play" involves games like "I'm gonna get you" with fake pulled punches. Well, sir, then don't be surprised when the 3 year old gets so worked up that the play escalates into real punches (that do hurt!).

Or, my brother who also loves to play rough but expects Lucas to say "excuse me" anytime he happens to bump into him or his girlfriend while running by. Hey, I'm all for politeness and take pride in Lucas's use of "please" and "thank you" but expecting an "excuse me" for a run-by bump is a little much, in my humble opinion.

And what about those long holiday dinners? I really don't think it is fair to expect a just-turned-three year old (literally 3 days before Christmas!) to sit quietly through dinner for as long as the rest of us gorge enjoy ourselves at the table.

Or, is it?

Well, like I said, I'd be a poor mother if I couldn't come up with at least a few excuses!


Original post to DC Metro Moms. When Aimee isn't making excuses for her son simply being a good mother, she can be found blogging at www.smilingmama.blogspot.com.

Comments

BananaBlueberry said...
You are not making excuses :)

sounds like your little guy is incredibly well-behaved,

glad you had fun!

MammaLoves said...
Many folks who aren't parents--or who haven't been around little people for a while--don't have realistic expectations for kids.

And holidays?? They're never easy. LOL



Original post by Smiling Mama. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Thanks!