Monday, January 7, 2008

Please indulge me. One more political post.

On Friday my co-workers were all totally impressed with me.

Why?

Well, several weeks ago I had predicted that long-shot Huckabee would have a late surge and go on to win the Iowa Republican primary. Friday morning almost everyone in my office came in to tell me that they were thinking of me Thursday night as Huckabee took the lead and eventually won. They couldn't believe I had predicted it so long ago.

Honestly, I don't think it was that big of a deal. I'd been paying attention to the Presidential politics for months and knew that the Republicans--especially those in Iowa--just weren't happy with their other GOP choices. Plus, I'd heard and read about Huckabee years before and knew that as a former preacher he could really draw in a crowd.

Not only my co-workers, but most of my apolitical friends ,and even my siblings think I'm a big political guru. I guess I am a little. I worked in politics for years and now that I'm in the non-profit sector I enjoy politics even more as a hobby.

With all this as background, I will share with you, Internet, my big dirty little secret: I am 100% undecided in the Democratic Presidential Primary.

How can this be?

I don't know.

Many, many times over the last several months I've told myself that I was going to decide and get behind someone. Yet, I just haven't been able to bring myself to really do it.

I've been embarrassed about this. I've tried to hide it from people.

I mean, come on, this is ME. I always have an opinion.

So when I read Meredith Chaiken's piece in the Washington Post's Outlook section on Sunday titled Undecided. Can it be me? it was like a weight was lifted off my shoulders.

Someone else feels exactly like I do! Someone involved in politics, someone informed also can't decide. I'm not alone!

So now I'll say it loud and proud: I'm an undecided Democrat!

And, that's okay.

Chances are pretty good the nomination will be locked up by the time I cast my vote on February 12 (one week after Tsunami Tuesday) and I'll get behind whomever the Democratic nominee is.

Thanks, Meredith, for making me feel okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Thanks!