Friday, January 4, 2008

Prayer for 2008

One thing I haven't blogged about yet is my love of politics. I truly believe in the political process. I truly believe that one person, that a group of people can make a difference in our country. On this day when most of our country is already sick of hearing about the horse-race carnival that is our presidential primary process, I am thinking about all the men and women in our country who are truly working for the greater good. There are good, honorable politicians out there. I have been privileged to know and work for some of them. There are good, honorable citizen activists out there. I am privileged to work with many of them.

I came across this wonderful anonymous prayer recently. I hope it will guide me and many others--especially our elected leaders--in 2008.


May God bless us with discomfort
at easy answers and half-truths...
May God bless us with anger
at injustice, oppression and
exploitation of people,
so that we may work for justice,
freedom and peace.

May God bless us with tears,
to shed for those who suffer from
pain, rejection, starvation and war,
so that we may reach out our hands...

And may God bless us with enough
foolishness to believe that we can
make a difference in this world,
so that we can do what others claim
cannot be done.

AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Thanks!