Sunday, July 26, 2009

Lovin' my Summertime Commute

If you live in the Washington, DC metro area, you know traffic. It seems like every year we receive another "accolade" in the Top 10 lists: worst commute, worst bottlenecks, you get the idea. Most recently, we moved up to claim the second worst regional traffic congestion in the nation. (Thanks, Atlanta, for stepping aside for us. Los Angeles: congrats on the top spot again this year!)

Over the past ten years of working in this region, I have commuted from DC to DC, from DC to Virginia, from Maryland to Virginia and now I drive from my Maryland home into the city three days a week. Every summer I reach the same conclusion: I love my summertime commute!

I can't find any empirical research to back me up (you know, after attempting approximately three google searches) but my own personal research after more than a decade of commuting tells me that approximately 25% of all residents of the Washington DC area are on vacation during any given week of summer.

What else could possibly explain the fact that I am currently shaving a solid 7 minutes off my morning commute and 10 minutes off my evening commute? Even better, past history tells me that I'll shave off a few additional minutes come August when Congress goes on recess and, apparently, 40% of people flee the city. (Again, my own personal research!)

I can't let myself get too used to lingering just a bit longer in the morning, though. Because come September, everyone returns from their lazy weeks at the beach and promptly forgets how to drive. Seriously. What else would explain why my September commute is the longest of the year?

Original post to DC Metro Moms. When Aimee Olivo isn't dodging traffic she's blogging at Smiling MamaOut by Ten.

Gunfighter said...
Same for me... and I only have to do 18 miles.

When we go on vacation in August, there will be another two cars not making the I-95 shuffele between Prince William County and The District (well, The District and Alexandria, where I work).

Lauren said...
In my area there are lots of students who commute to private school, so traffic is lighter during their summer vacation. Even in the winter, school holidays are like traffic holidays!

Megan said...
I live in Charlottesville. It must be that the DC commuters all come down here during the weeks in summer, because Friday afternoon northbound traffic in summer is horrendous. And you'd think that summer traffic here would be better with all the students gone, but for every undergrad UVA sends home it seems that they bring in two campers or grad students.

Original post by Smiling Mama. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day. Thanks!