Friday, July 31, 2009

Favorite Things Friday: Chocolate Zucchini Bread

Photo of zucchini and husband courtesy Organized Living by Amy


I seem to be determined to do the most unhealthy things possible with my farmer's market produce this week. First, with the amazingly fresh and delicious peaches and blueberries, I made pie. Then, with several zucchinis much smaller than the one pictured above, I made one of my summertime favorites: Chocolate Zucchini Bread. It's my feature for this week's Favorite Things Friday.

This sweet bread was an August staple in my house growing up. There was one unfortunate year when I pureed cucumber rather than zucchini when helping my mom bake and I will never again confuse the two!

The recipe is incredibly easy. I highly recommend making three loaves rather than a bundt cake. The loaves freeze really well.

Chocolate Zucchini Bread
3 1/2 C flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt

4 eggs, beaten
3 C sugar
1 1/2 C oil

Beat eggs, sugar and oil; mix dry ingredients and add to wet ingredients. Then mix in:

1/2 C cocoa
3 C peeled, pureed zucchini

Grease and flour bundt pan or 3 bread pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes. (My oven bakes this in closer to 1 hour; I'd check on it at that mark just in case.)

Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan.

As with all things unhealthy, it can get even more delicious and unhealthy: try a warm slice spread with butter!


Original post by Smiling Mama. Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Delicious...my mom used to make something like this and I loved it. I'll have to get to the grocery store to get the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum... i have zucchini "on the edge" in my fridge right now... had been planning to saute, but now i have THE perfect recipe, instead!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day. Thanks!