Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Ooey gooey amazingness

I don't know what got into me on Saturday but I cooked and baked up a storm. First, I cooked a huge batch of easy sausage jambalaya for a family in town who recently lost their son. Then, I moved on to desserts.

On our way home from the beach, I just couldn't resist the sign for shelled pecans. They just sat on my counter because I just couldn't figure out what to do with them. Finally I cracked my good old Better Homes and Gardens cookbook and quickly discovered that pretty much every recipe involving pecans also includes large quantities of butter, sugar, sweetened condensed milk, chocolate or all of the above! I went ahead and chose the most decadent looking recipe.

Oh. My. Goodness.

These things are amazing.

Luckily I was taking dinner to another family with a new baby the next night so could ship some off to them. Our neighbors very kindly agreed to watch Lucas for a few hours last-minute when Abel and I discovered we'd miscommunicated about our separate evening plans so I took some over to them as well.

Otherwise, I'm telling you, the entire pan would have ended up in my belly!

Photo via BHG.com

Chocolate Caramel Bars

Ingredients

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
1 cup flaked coconut (I don't like coconut so skipped this)
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
20 vanilla caramels, unwrapped
2 tablespoons milk
1 cup milk chocolate pieces or semisweet chocolate pieces

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

For crust: In a medium bowl, stir together flour and brown sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press onto the bottom of an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Bake for 15 minutes. Sprinkle pecans and coconut over hot crust.

2. Meanwhile, for filling: In a small bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk and vanilla. Carefully pour over pecans and coconut, spreading evenly.

3. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes more or until filling is set. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.

4. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine caramels and milk. Cook and stir over medium-low heat just until caramels are melted. Drizzle caramel mixture over filling. Sprinkle with chocolate pieces. Cool completely. Cut into bars. Makes 24 bars.


Trust me. You do not want to know the nutritional value info.

Original post by Smiling Mama. Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. you're making me hungry! Although, I know I won't attempt this because everything I bake I end up destorying, so I don't even bother trying anymore. But when you come to visit you can feel free to whip up a batch of these! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day. Thanks!