Wednesday, September 2, 2009

20 Weeks

When the Baby Center e-mail arrives tomorrow announcing 20 Weeks, I will not be able to believe it. How in the world am I half-way through this pregnancy? As with all things of this nature, in some ways, it feels like ages ago that I finally got that positive pregnancy test and in other ways it feels like yesterday. And, at the same time, I think January 21 is going to take forever to arrive but also be here in the blink of an eye.

So far, things have been going really well. Yeah, the nausea and tiredness for those first few months was hard. Yeah, the ups and downs are tough. But, those are truly minor bumps in the road, and things which are to be fully expected. The big things--like my platelets--are good so far and for that, I'm truly grateful. There's no sign of gestational diabetes, either. So far my blood sugars are normal which is also wonderful. I know, however, and am bracing myself, that both of those could become factors in the next few months. And, my doctors and I are prepared.

Last week (an already rough week) I was convinced that my platelets had dropped. I had an unexplained bruise on my shin and woke up one morning with a bloody nose. I'm sure these aren't things that a normal person would think twice about but I know that bruising and bleeding can be very scary for me. On top of that, the results of my blood test took more than an hour to come back. Everything seemed to be running behind in the office that afternoon, but as the minutes ticked by--doubling and tripling the normal 15 minute turn around--I was expecting the worst. Luckily, they came back the same as last month--still well below the "normal" platelet count, but still well-above the danger level.

But, this post wasn't supposed to be about the what ifs. It's about the what will be. In another 20 weeks we will have the most amazing gift--a second child. A new member of our fam-ill-lee (as Lucas says).

And in one week, we will know if the baby will be a boy or a girl.

I am secretly (but obviously not-so-secretly!) hoping for a girl. I'm ready to buy some pink and see for myself if girls really are a little more calm. And I'm ready to name her the name I've dreamed about for years.

But, I will embrace a boy as well. (Though his nursery will be much more babyish than Lucas's!!) The boxes and boxes and boxes of clothes in the attic will be the right color and the right season. The trucks and cars and tools will get played with even more. The idea of brothers--and hopefully best friends--is just awesome.

Either way, I know Lucas will be an amazing big brother.

There is so much I want and need to do before the baby arrives. Two rooms to prepare. Things to buy. Clothes to get down and wash. Projects to finish. Quality time to spend with Lucas, savoring this alone-time with our first born.

And we've got just 20 weeks to do it!


Original post by Smiling Mama. Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know your doctors had adjusted your EDD to 1/21. That's mine, too! I feel goofy getting excited about that for some reason, lol.

    I had my sonogram on Sat. so know I'm having another little boy. Tom and Will are thrilled (as they wanted to keep the male/female balance in the house skewed). Like you, we have a ton of stuff to do to rearrange rooms and move things around. I want to get started on it soon though, before it becomes too uncomfortable to pack boxes and move desks. On the other hand, Jan just can't come soon enough...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother called me today to inform me that I only have 77 days "left." Yikes. Right now I want her to stay in as long as possible. I reserve the right to change my mind in the next few weeks as she gets stronger though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, you're at the half way mark! :) Don't sweat getting things done in a hurry, you won't need as much as you think. Just relax and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear things are well.. talked to Mike Cashdollar and he said your counts are great.. He said that above 80,000 with no steroids is incredible! Also said his first year in Chambersburg one of his patients delivered at 0 platelets.. and of course had some post delivery scary few days, but Mom and baby did well!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day. Thanks!