Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Why I can never be a letter carrier and other things that tire you out

So Sunday afternoon I delivered about 100 fliers for an upcoming town forum. We divide the town into 19 routes and flier the whole town for this annual event. I was going strong for the first half hour. But, holy batman, my town is chock full of hills and many, many steps leading to front doors. The total route was only about 4 full blocks (the entire way around each block) but it took almost 2 hours of very steady walking/climbing. By the end I was exhausted. And came to the conclusion that I could never be a letter carrier. (Or, if I were, I'd be dead for the first few weeks but then would probably get into amazing shape.) Seriously, as of yesterday, I was still limping around. Luckily, Abel suggested I grab my ipod on the way out the door so I got to listen to two great episodes of This American Life, one of my most favorite things.

Yesterday Lucas and I went to Pump It Up's open gym, upon the advice of Jessica at A Parent in Silver Spring. It was really fun! Lucas went crazy and took a solid 2.5 hour nap when we got home. I'd pay $7 for a 2.5 hour nap any day! I did get rather annoyed at one of the moms there. She had one child who was, I'd guess, 12-14 months old. Definitely a little too young for most of the equipment. But, she was in the jumper, etc. going crazy. Yes, the adults can certainly have fun and enjoy, too. But, come on. Don't let your personal entertainment/exercise get in the way of my kid's fun and safety.

Overall, I think that the Tuesday open gymnastics at the Prince George's Sports and Learning Complexr (which I really need to write a full review on) is a better experience. But, their time slot is 11:30am-12:30pm and Lucas is always extremely tired/cranky by the time we get home. This open play at Pump it Up, in contrast, is 10am-11:30am which means we're home and eating by noon and that makes a world of difference for Lucas.

Whew!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you guys had a good time...and an even better nap!

    The mom going crazy in the jumper? That made me literally laugh out loud. However, so sorry that she endangered your little guy, that's not laughable!

    We're going to check out PG Sports and Learning on your recommendation soon!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day. Thanks!