Monday, February 2, 2009

25 Things About Me

Jumping on the bandwagon...

1. I am a very lucky person. Items I’ve won include (but are not limited to): an all-expense paid trip for two to LA, including concert, limos, and fancy meals; $1,000 cash; a month of Boot Camp for Women; countless movie tickets; 4 tickets to a concert of my choice plus limo ride to/from; a year-long membership to SitterCity; and many more miscellaneous things I can’t even remember. Because of this, I often assume I will win contests and am disappointed when I don’t.

2. I write with my left hand but do almost everything else right-handed.

3. I’ve met President Clinton twice; and, Al Gore and Hillary Clinton each once. I will be looking for opportunities to meet President Obama during the next eight (yes, eight!) years.

4. It gives me a great thrill to have typed the words “President Obama” above.

5. Almost every boss I’ve ever had has hired me again or has tried to hire me again.

6. I am quickly becoming addicted to social media: Facebook, blogs and Twitter.

7. I met my husband because we lived together in a group house. My friends get a kick out of the fact that I “lived with” him before we were married.

8. The first time I flew, I was 13 and flew alone from Dulles to Frankfurt, Germany. I saved up every penny of my $600 plane ticket by babysitting my butt off for two years. I was in Europe for 3 weeks visiting my then-best friend.

9. I studied Tae Kwon Do for 7 years and was one belt away from becoming a Black Belt before I quit. I hope to get back to it one day. I broke boards with my hands and feet. It was an amazing feeling.

10. I can not read lips. Don't even try. I can not understand you.

11. I have officially become a Buckeye’s fan since meeting and marrying Abel. I even root for them against Penn State now. (Sorry, Dad.)

12. Writing this list is much harder than anticipated.

13. My lucky number is “2” (see above). Maybe it will work for you, too.

14. I am not very good at arithmetic and, to practice and challenge myself, try to add up the numbers on license plates as quickly as possible.

15. Despite this daily practice, I often still use my fingers to add.

16. I’ve only ever lived in two states: Pennsylvania and Maryland. (DC is not a state.)

17. Efficiency is very important to me. With each task, I try to do it the most efficient way possible. In my line of work (fundraising) you stuff a lot of letters. I believe I do this in the most efficient way possible and get annoyed when my co-workers do not listen to my advice to improve their own technique. I wonder if I will ever be at a stage in my life when I no longer have to stuff letters. (Most likely not.)

18. I started working at my sister’s university during her sophomore year. Every time I walked across campus, I would look for her. I continued to do this after she graduated. It was really fun to work there while she was a student.

19. I checked the website of that university every day for months looking for a job opening that was a good fit for me because I wanted to get an MBA there for free. It was one of the smartest financial moves I’ve ever made.

20. I truly believe I saw a ghost one night during my freshman year in college when a group of us were prowling the halls of our 110 year old building in the middle of the night. (Hey, it was a women’s college; what else were we going to do?)

21. I love public speaking. Love it! In fact, I would like to have the opportunity to do it more often.

22. I am very competitive. I try to hide this fact. I’m afraid I don’t hide it very well.

23. I’m addicted to Diet Coke and am trying to cut back.

24. I was in labor with Lucas for 9 hours before I mentioned it to anyone, including Abel. When I told him that it was time to go to the hospital he first showered, packed his bag (which was supposed to have been packed already) and took out the trash. He’s lucky I didn’t kill him.

25. For approximately 3 days in May 2008, I thought I had cancer (the doctors did, too). I believe it may have been a miracle that the biopsy of my lymph node came back completely clear.

3 comments:

  1. oh as soon as i saw him tie up the trash bag it would have been ON.

    [i cannot believe you waited 9 hours!!]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading these lists! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree with you about #17. I get so annoyed when I teach people to run letters/labels using mail merge, and then I catch them manually typing names and addresses into labels and letters, which takes 10 times as long!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day. Thanks!